Dallas Police Department Tips
The crime reports for Bryan Place consistently indicate that the two primary crimes in our area include theft of personal items taken from parked vehicles (burglary motor vehicle – BMV) and open garage doors. The following are recent posts from NPO Dang Le of the DPD to help prevent these common crimes.
Burglary Motor Vehicle (BMV)
Thescrimes represent about half of all crime reported in the City of Dallas and Bryan Place. The National Crime Prevention Council and the Dallas Police Department recommend the following tips:
- Never leave your vehicle unattended with keys in the ignition.
- Loc your doors and keep the windows closed, even when parked in front of your home.
- Park in busy and well‐lit areas.
- Do not leave valuables in plain view.
- Never leave your vehicle registration or other personal documents in your parked vehicle.
- Equip your vehicle with an alarm system or other anti‐theft device.
A very common access point for home burglaries is an open garage door (including garage doors that are accessed using a stolen garage door opener). Thieves drive around looking for open garage doors from which y can help themselves to the contents. Always keep your garage door closed, even if you are only away from the garage for a few minutes. The following are a few of the measures that can be taken to protect your garage and backyard shed:
- Mark all property, including lawnmowers, generators, bikes, saws, leaf blowers, etc. with your driver’s license number and state abbreviation (for more information on DPD Operation ID see the Resource Package from the Dallas Crime Watch.
- Do not leave the garage remote attached to the visor in your vehicle. Either lock the remote in a secure place or invest in a remote you can attach to your key ring.
- Homeowners who often forget to shut their garage door should consider purchasing an “open garage door indicator” that alerts them when the garage door is open.
- Lock garage windows and use blinds to conceal items inside.
- Secure items such as lawnmowers, generators and bicycles to fixed objects using a good chain/cable and pad lock.
- Install motion sensor lights on sheds and garages.
- Keep bushes/trees around garage and sheds pruned to prevent easy hiding places.
As always, please call 911 with any suspicious activity in the neighborhood. You do not have to give out your personal information or visit with a police officer in person. These thieves are looking for the easiest opportunities available – let’s make it as difficult as possible on the bad guys and send a message that Bryan Place is not an easy target